What is Cosmetic Bonding?
Tooth bonding (also known as dental bonding or composite bonding) is a simple dental procedure that consists of fixing any concern you may have in your teeth, just like cracked or chipped teeth, to make them look nicer by applying a composite resin on a tooth to repair it and prevent them from further damage. It is usually used to fix minor injuries such as:
- Gaps between teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Chips or fractured teeth
- Short teeth
Cosmetic bonding is taking the place of dental veneers for many of our patients here in Bray, as cosmetic bonding is a non-evasive method of improving one’s smile. Dental Veneers, on the other hand, needs some degradation of one’s tooth by removing part of the tooth surface to make a suitable area to add the veneer. Cosmetic bonding is a safe and easy procedure, and it is the best option for people who do not have an issue with the colour of their teeth and want to get rid of imperfections. Your dentist will choose the composite resin colour to match the colour of your tooth to achieve a natural look. This dental procedure will make your smile look nicer with just a single visit.
When is Cosmetic Bonding used?
Cosmetic bonding is the best procedure to get a perfect smile for those who want to get rid of minimal issues or defects with their teeth, such as cracked teeth, gaps between teeth or filling chips, etc. In just one visit for a very affordable price, you can get a smile makeover. It is the most effective solution for minor cosmetic injuries when you want to:
- Repair a cracked tooth
- Make your teeth look longer
- Protect part of the tooth’s root
- Fix gaps between teeth
- Make teeth look straighter
Alternative treatments to cosmetic bonding
Dental bonding is a solution that provides a perfect smile by fixing minor injuries in your teeth in just one visit. However, it may not be the best procedure for you if you have major issues with your teeth or if you are looking for a more durable and resistible solution. In that case, the alternatives to Dental Bonding are:
- Veneers: Veneers are thin porcelain shells bonded to your teeth to make your smile look better and achieving the desired shape, colour, length and size you have always dreamed of. Veneers are a great alternative to dental bonding if you want a more durable solution. Also, they are made of a stronger material than the resin used in dental bonding, and they are used for more serious issues such as bigger chips, crooked teeth, discoloured teeth and fix gaps between teeth.
- Dental crowns: Crowns are the best treatment for those people who have suffered severe damage to their tooth, the dental crown reinforces and saves the tooth. Also, dental crowns last around 5-15 years and are made of a more robust material than dental bonding. Crowns can replace large fillings, restore dental implants, reshape your teeth and protect a tooth from further damage.
What is the procedure for Cosmetic Bonding?
Tooth bonding (also known as cosmetic bonding) can be completed in just one visit at our dental clinic here in Bray. It consists of fixing minor imperfections in your teeth to make them look more aesthetically pleasing and achieve that perfect smile.
This procedure takes part in three steps:
Preparation: There is no previous preparation needed for dental bonding. Your dentist will use a chart to choose the composite resin colour that matches the colour of your teeth to make it will look natural and prepare the resin. The material used can be moulded easily to get the desired effect.
Local anaesthesia is often not necessary, as the resin is usually applied to repair the surface of your tooth. However, anaesthesia may be required when filling a decayed tooth or chipped tooth when the damage is near a nerve. The majority of cases for cosmetic bonding do not need any anaesthesia and are pain-free and quick.
- Bonding process: After choosing the right colour, our dentist prepares to bond the composite resin to the tooth. First, they start by roughing the surface and then apply a bonding agent that will help the liquid and composite to stick. Then, our dentist will use the resin and begin to mould it into the desired shape, fixing any minor imperfections like gaps or cracked teeth. To harden the resin, your dentist will use a laser or bright light (UVA waves) that will cure it in a few seconds. After that, the tooth will be shaped to match the rest of the surface. This procedure takes around 30 to 60 minutes per tooth to complete.
- After Care – Teeth care: It is possible to experience tooth sensitivity after the tooth bonding procedure, but this will not last an extended period. Try to consume soft foods instead and continue to brush your teeth daily.
Did you know
Avoid cheap homemade kits for tooth whitening, these can be dangerous and cause permanent harm to your teeth
It only takes 7 seconds to make a first impression. According to independent research, a whiter smile has a substantially positive effect on peoples’ first impressions of you.
Percent of adults believe an attractive smile makes a person more attractive to the people of the opposite gender
(Crown Council, an Association of Independent Dental Practices)
What are the pros and cons of cosmetic bonding?
Dental bonding is an easy and simple dental procedure that consists of fixing minor imperfections in your teeth to get a perfect smile in just one visit to your dental clinic.
The main disadvantage is that dental bonding is not as durable as other cosmetic procedures like crowns or veneers. The bonding materials can chip with ice or hard food objects, so they do not last as long as fillings or crowns do. Moreover, if you need to fix significant decay in your teeth or correct chips, then dental veneers or crowns may be a better option. Also, infections need to be treated before the bonding process; otherwise, the disease will grow and worsen under the resin, so ensuring that your teeth and gums are healthy before this procedure is vital.
Dental bonding is one of our most popular treatments for good reason; it is quick, more affordable and offers fantastic cosmetic results in little time. Cosmetic bonding is the simplest and easiest cosmetic dental procedure you can find, less expensive than crowns or veneers.
Unlike veneers and crowns, cosmetic bonding does not require pre-made customised material; it is shaped into the desired shape at the moment of treatment. Even if you are not happy with the results, your dentist can mould the resin and further improve the outcome. Finally, compared with veneers and crowns, dental bonding removes less tooth enamel.
Contact us Today!
If you are looking for more information regarding getting dental veneers, then simply fill in the form below, and we will contact you as soon as possible. Alternatively, you can call us on 01 2014180